Your teen will eventually:
- Have a place of residence that they feel proud of and take care of. A place that communicates who they are, and what is important to them. It may be a place that is full up of all the values that you are teaching them now but that you don't think they get. Oh they get it!
- Incorporate into their lives what you practiced in your life, spirituality, love of music, books, friends, food, exercise, passion for work and play, and of course family.
- Share their work life with you, share their friends with you, share their passions with you. Thank you for doing and giving all you did to help bring them to this time in their life.
- Make you so proud of the adult they have become, that you burst with love and anticipation for the many years you have now to share with your son and daughter.
Here are the things that you can teach them now so that can get to this place later:
- Self Awareness: What are the feelings that can push their buttons and the behaviors that could sabotage their success.
- Taking responsibility: What can they do to take responsibility for their decisions and their actions.
- Be independent: Develop confidence in their ability to do for themselves whether in thought or in action.
I am currently scheduling my seminars for the 2019-2020 school year. I have spoken at hundreds of middle and high schools across the country, for corporations and religious and community groups. For info about booking contact email@example.com
Joani’s Top Ten Parenting Tips
The secret to parenting is to keep it simple. Learn 10 simple, concrete practical tips useful in those daily moments of stress as a parent when you wish you had the "right thing to do and the right thing to say!
Audience: All ages
Adolescent Psychology: The Parent Version
· Understand teen stressors and anxieties
· Learn how the brain affects your teen’s behavior. It’s the battle of the thinking brain VS the feeling brain.
- Learn Effective strategies for arguing-The Four Ways Of Fighting.
- Develop effective strategies for keeping your teen safe as they explore the new world of teen life.
- Learn how to teen-proof your home and cell-proof your teen
Sexting. Texting and Social Networking: What’s A Parent To Do?
· Understand how the “emotional brain” of a child gets “turned on” by social networking.
- Understand how the “Imaginary Audience” influences your child’s performing on social media.
- Learn which apps are safe and unsafe
- Learn strategies to monitor and set limits around phone and internet use
- Learn how your own behavior with phones and computers can positively and negatively influence your teen.
- Understand the addiction of gaming
Audience: parents of 4thgraders through High school
Drugs and Alcohol: How Does Your Teen’s Personality Style, and Your Parenting Style impact their experimentation with drugs and alcohol?
- Identify your teen’s personality style and risk-factors with drugs and alcohol
- Identify your parenting style and how it influences your teen’s drug and alcohol use
- Learn effective strategies and scripts to keep your teen safe
- Understand the emotional journey of your college bound high school student
- Understand the emotional journey of a parent of college bound high school student
- Learn strategies for making this process successful and positive
With over 40 years of experience working with families, Joani's approach, using humor, storytelling and easy to use tools make the job of parenting just a little bit easier.
Joani Geltman MSW 781-910-1770 joanigeltman.com