Thursday, January 19, 2017

I'm Glad My Parents......

Perhaps you are feeling a bit discouraged after reading my students write about all the things they wish their parents had done differently to prepare them for the rest of their life. Here is the good news, there are many things their parents did right and that they are grateful for. Here they are!

I'm glad my parents:

  • Didn't punish me every time I made a mistake or got a bad grade.
  • Were honest, and didn't pretend that they were perfect teenagers.
  • Taught me to work for what I wanted instead of just expecting to get it.
  • Were always there for me.
  • Taught me about taking personal responsibility while still providing a support system.
  • Made me get a job.
  • Didn't embarrass me in public or with my friends.
  • Told me how proud they were of me.
  • Gave me space when necessary.
  • Have always been supportive and accepted my choices even if they disagreed.
  • Limited TV and computer use.
  • Made a home-cooked meal every night.
  • Made me work for my money.
  • Were on my ass about my grades.
  • Amazing listeners and gave extremely good advice.
  • Told me what I did wrong without hurting my self-esteem.
  • Made me do my homework.
  • Taught me self-respect.
  • Took time out to listen to my ideas and interests.
  • Pushed me to try new things.
  • Loved me and showed me they cared.
  • Taught me that nothing is handed to you in life.  
  • Told me to follow my dreams and be who I want to be.
  • Didn't necessarily punish me for the things I did wrong, but explained it was wrong and they were "disappointed." 
  • Taught me to save money.
  • Were open about drinking, and weren't unrealistic about partying, and we could talk about it. 
  • Had a sense of humor.
  • Always ate dinner with me.
  • Spent time with me.
  • Let me learn on my own and made me independent.
Just to remind: Facebook live broadcast Sunday at 8 pm. Joani's Ten Minute Teen Troubleshooting Parenting Tip:  The "NO" fights!
Also below is a list of the seminars I offer to schools and companies. Maybe you'd like to bring me to your school or company. I travel!!! 

And if you need some help with parenting your teen, lets do some parenting coaching. By phone or in person! Joani@joanigeltman.com, or invite a group of friends over and lets do an Ask The Expert Party. You bring the food and wine...I'll bring the fun and advice!

Adolescent Psychology: The Parent Version


  • Learn how the brain affects your teen’s behavior. It’s the battle of the thinking brain VS the feeling brain.
  • Learn Effective strategies for arguing-The Four Ways Of Fighting.
  • Develop effective strategies for keeping your teen safe as they explore the new world of teen life.
  • Learn how to teen-proof your home and cell-proof your teen

Sexting. Texting and Social Networking: What’s A Parent To Do?
  • Understand how the “emotional brain” of a teen gets “turned on” by social networking.
  • Understand how the “Imaginary Audience” influences your teen’s performing on social media.
  • Learn which apps are safe and unsafe
  • Learn strategies to monitor and set limits around phone and internet use
  • Learn how your own behavior with phones and computers can positively and negatively influence your teen.

Drugs and Alcohol: How Does Your Teen’s Personality Style, and Your Parenting Style impact their experimentation with drugs and alcohol?
  • Identify your teen’s personality style and risk-factors with drugs and alcohol
  • Identify your parenting style and how it influences your teen’s drug and alcohol use
  • Learn effective strategies and scripts to keep your teen safe
                                                College Bound

  • Understand the emotional journey of your college bound high school student
  • Understand the emotional journey of a parent of college bound high school student
  • Learn strategies for making this process successful and positive


Joani’s Top Ten Parenting Tips
The secret to parenting is to keep it simple. Learn 10 simple, concrete practical tips useful in those daily moments of stress as a parent when you wish you had the "right thing to do and the right thing to say!





No comments:

Post a Comment